Ensure a clean and structured database
Quickly formulate & reuse recipes
Automate key tasks and calculations
Research and Development management
Product formulation is a sensitive but decisive stage in the product development process. R&D teams optimize product development taking into account raw materials’ attributes and limitations as ingredients, any associated health risks and, most importantly, costs to develop a new product. Part of their role is also to gather all product information and ensure it remains accurate for all those involved both internally and externally for audits.
Many different aspects need to be included from the very first stage of new product development. R&D teams work within strict frameworks including regulations (USDA/FDA, EU 1169/2001, EC No. 1223/2009) and standards (CODEX Alimentarius), norms, nutrition statements, allergens, and marketing briefs related to customers’ expectations. Meanwhile, company profitability cannot be overlooked, taking into consideration and evaluating how production costs are affected by raw materials or production processes.
Research and Development challenges
Many different elements need to be taken into account by R&D teams from the very first stage of new product development:
- All regulatory aspects and standards
- Marketing brief or customer requirements
- The evaluation of production costs based on the prices of raw materials which are particularly volatile,
- Business profitability
The research and development phase is generally a lengthy stage that companies seek to optimize in order to shorten time-to-market and thus maintain their competitive advantage.
How the R&D Module can help you?
Manufacturers and retailers need therefore to control all their product design using an appropriate system. Aptean PLM Lascom Edition‘s R&D module offers such a system, facilitating all product formulation with automated calculation, food and cosmetics ingredients libraries, and system-wide replacement when a supplier makes a change. The R&D module enables companies not only to create and simulate recipes but also to optimize their formulation to reduce costs and meet the marketing brief requirements. Every item can be commented and versioned, so all users access correct, up-to-date information. It ensures complete compliance with the requirements imposed by marketing, your customers and of course regulators. You can create new formulas based on marketing proposals or the demands of regulations, either from scratch or from an existing formula. The module automatically calculates costs and risks, the nutritional facts panel, ingredients statement, health claims, etc. and manages impacts in the event of changes.
R & D management software : Included Features
- Specification and raw materials samples management: all specifications are systematically stored, therefore building a healthy and logical database.
- Formulation for food and beverages: PLM calculates the list of ingredients, theoretical nutritional values, cost, allergens, risks, etc. on the basis of the raw materials used in the recipe. It offers the possibility of using the USDA & CIQUAL databases
- Formulation for cosmetics and personal care: PLM calculates Quali/Quanti formula based on the formula and the impurities and trace elements taking into account whether or not the product is categorized as rinse-off. It includes a Quantum Satis function
- Adapts to your formulation needs using customizable templates with a full web editor.
- Formulate with units (kg, lbs, liters, etc.) or percentages
- Real time requirements verification
R&D management system:
what our customers say!
R&D management system:
The core element of PLM technology is to provide a single and centralized base to manage all product, project, and packaging related specifications. This ensures a single version of the truth.
PLM Formulation tool automatically calculates numerous key values for product development and generates required contents and documents.